What is now Forest City began as a crossroads on the Shelby-Rutherfordton and Spartanburg-Lincolnton Roads. Originally, the town was incorporated as Burnt Chimney in 1877. A replica near the site of the original chimney adorns the public square today.
Today, the population of Forest City is approximately 7,404. The town remains the commercial hub, and the legacy of “community betterment” can still be seen in the pride the town and its residents take in keeping Forest City a beautiful and livable community.
Forest City is located six miles east of Rutherfordton, the county seat, and is situated in the foothills of the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains of North Carolina. The town is interconnected by three US highways, 74, 221, 64, and one state highway 108. Forest City is only 15 minutes away from the Tryon International Equestrian Center.